Written by Inspire FM Newsdesk on April 29, 2021
Here are some recipes you can try this Ramadhan for iftar.
Let us know how it goes.
– 500g Lamb Mince – minced by the butchers 3 times
– 1/2 a Large Onion
– 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Cumin
– 1 Large Egg
– 1/2 Teaspoon of Red Chilli Powder (you can vary this depending on how spicy you like food)
– 1/2 Teaspoon of Paprika
– 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
– 1 1/2 Teaspoon of Garam Masala
– 1 Tablespoon of Garlic/Ginger Paste (or equivalent)
1) Dice the half onion into small bits, don’t worry if it’s not neat or some are odd-shaped – we are going to blend this right down in a moment.
2) In a food processor bowl, or hand blender bowl, throw in all the ingredients. Remember to crack the egg (we don’t want any crunch from the shell).
3) Turn on the food processor, or hand blender, and mince everything down together, until it looks like a paste.
4) Turn off the food processor, and give everything a good mix with a large spoon, to make sure no masala or onions have been unmixed.
5) Now blend it all over again, for 2-3 minutes more.
6) Lay out a large sheet of greaseproof paper, and place around 6 small meatball size balls around the paper.
7) With your hand, just gently squeeze these down as flat as you can make them, and blending the whole thing together, to start forming a thin sheet of the mix.
8) Once you have done as much as you can by hand, lay a sheet of greaseproof paper on top, and roll it even thinner with a rolling pin. Need to get this to about 2mm thickness.
9) Remove the top sheet of the greaseproof paper
10) Place in the oven at 220°C (Gas Mark 7) for about 6-7 minutes, until the mix has gone a light brown in colour.
11) Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut thin strips.
12) Throw on top of some chips, get out the sauces, and let the finger-licking begin!
– 250g Digestive Biscuits or Cookies
– 75g Salted Butter
– 350g Nutella
– 500g Cream Cheese
– 75g Sifted Icing Sugar
1) Break the digestives into a bowl, not too finely, and leaving some small chunks.
2) Melt the butter and pour over the biscuits. Using a spoon, mix this in really well, until the mix starts to come together a bit.
3) Pour all the Nutella, and Cream Cheese into a bowl, and start to mix this together. You can do this by hand or using an electric mixer, or hand blender.
4) As you mix the Nutella and Cream Cheese, pour in the icing sugar and blend that in (if you wish to reduce the icing sugar due to personal taste, this can be reduced by half).
5) Once the Nutella and Cream Cheese have visibly mixed together, you shouldn’t see any white streaks in the Nutella.
6) Get your serving pan, a roughly 23cm springform pan would be adequate. However, you can use smaller individuals glasses too.
7) Put all the biscuit mix at the bottom of the pan, or share amongst your individual glasses, and press it down using a spoon.
8) Pour on the Nutella mix, and spread around evenly
9) Put it straight into the fridge… and lock it up until Iftar!
10) Just before serving dust on some icing sugar or crushed hazelnuts.
11) And this is the most important step… cut a BIG slice and indulge!
– Strawberry Syrup – (Use Strawberry Squash if no syrup available) (quantity to taste)
– Bunch of Fresh Mint Leaves
– Granulated Sugar
– 2 Fresh Lemons
– 4 Fresh Limes
– 250g/500g Fresh Berries (to match the desired flavour, i.e. Strawberries for Strawberry Syrup)
– 1kg Ice Cubes
– 1ltr Schweppes Lemonade
1) Get a big bowl or jug to mix everything
2) Break some ice into the bowl
3) Then add the fresh mint leaves and crush someone at the bottom of the bowl
4) Cut the limes into quarters and squeeze in the juice. Then add the lime pieces
5) Do the same for the lemons
6) Cut berries in half and then add these in
7) Carefully give all of this a mix
8) Now tilt the bowl slightly and pour in the Schweppes lemonade along the side (easing the liquid like this means it fizzes less and keeps some in for when we drink it)
9) Add syrup to the desired quantity. Don’t overdo it, subtle flavours work a charm.
10) Sugar needs to be added to taste, or you can even miss this out
11) Finally give everything a gentle stir to mix it in! And serve cold!