LUTON MASJIDS COVID-19 UPDATES
Written by Inspire FM Newsdesk on March 18, 2020
Announcements and updates from Luton masjids around the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation.
Last Updated: 23 March 2020, 22:30
ZAKARIYA MASJID – 23/03/20
“Following the government announced this evening, the Masjid will be closed with immediate effect.
Please complete your prayers at home.
Please stay safe. Follow the government instructions and advice.
Please check on your neighbours and those you know may be vulnerable and in need.
We pray for what is best in this difficult time and place our trust in Allah (swt).”
MASJID-E-NOOR – 22/03/20
“It is with great sorrow that we announce that all congregational activities in Masjid Noor are suspended with immediate effect.
The Masjid is not open to the public.”
LUTON SUNNI COUNCIL OF MOSQUES – 20/03/20
“It is with a heavy heart that the management of Sunni Council of Mosques have decided to implement serious measures to protect the public from the Coronavirus pandemic.
“Coronavirus causes unprecedented concern because of:
1) Its highly contagious nature
2) The significant risk of serious complications (including death), particularly in the elderly and those with underlying conditions.
“We understand the deep connection that believers have to the Masajid and we are grateful to Allah for granting us the ability to serve the community, and for your unwavering support for many years.
“However, we have a duty to safeguard our community from harm and we each have an individual duty to protect ones’ life:
“‘Do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction’,
(Surah Baqarah Verse no. 195)
“Therefore, with the best interests of the community in mind, the management of Luton Sunni Masajids have collectively have made the following decision:
- All the five daily prayers and Jummah Salah suspended for the general public. There is a precedence for this in the sunnah – it is mentioned in Bukhari Hadith 901 where the blessed Companions were advised to pray at home during times of difficulty.
- All madrasah classes are cancelled until further notice. You will have received individual information from your local masjid about this. We will be unable to facilitate in-home tuition during this time and strongly discourage you from approaching others to do this. It would be a highly irresponsible thing to do and would likely lead to further spread of this disease. These decisions have been very difficult to make and we ask you to honour our commitment to keeping you all safe and healthy by ensuring you take all necessary steps in your personal lives to mitigate against harm.
“It is a religious obligation for all citizens to adhere to the guidance and directions issued by medical authorities in order to curtail the spread of the virus and protect life. It is essential that information is taken from credible sources, and we ask that you refrain from sharing invalidated information among people and potentially creating further confusion and chaos in society.
“We call on the Muslims in Luton to observe and maintain the daily prayers. For a family and household who live together in their home, they should endeavour to perform the prayers together in congregation – Congregational prayer is not limited to the masajid.
“Please support individuals and families in need, whether this is through sickness or financial hardship where you can, where you can. There are a number of community organisations that will benefit from your support during this difficult time.
“Please use this time to increase in deeds of virtue and goodness and pray that Almighty Allah lifts away this disease from the world. May He protect all our lands and people from this virus and all diseases and sicknesses. We pray that Allah grants this Ummah relief and cure during this very difficult time. Almighty Allah is the best Protector and He is the Most Merciful. Verily He is the best Guardian and the Greatest Hope. Ameen.”
MADINAH MASJID, LUTON – 17/03/20
“I would like to inform you that an extraordinary meeting of UKIM members and associates took place at the masjid after Zuhr Salah. Following decisions were taken,
1) Masjid will remain open for five daily prayers (people above 60 and with underline health issues will be discouraged to come to Masjid).
2) Jumah prayer is suspended until further notice.
3) Madrassa suspended until further notice.
Also, no Wudu area and toilets will be available, so do Wudu at home, bring your own prayer mat, Sunnah and Nafil prayers to be completed at home inshallah.
We pray that Allah SWT gives barakah in these decisions and forgives us if we have made any mistakes.”
LUTON ISLAMIC CENTRE – 17/03/20
“It is with great sadness to inform you that Luton Islamic Centre will be closed (until further notice) for all prayers including Jummah with immediate effect.
This decision was not taken lightly and is based upon expert medical advice, Muslim Council of Britain and closely monitoring international Coronavirus acceleration rates.
The main objective is the preservation of life and to slow down the rate of hospital referrals so the NHS can cope.
All classes will be live-streamed only (please subscribe to our YouTube channel – Luton Islamic Centre).
Please observe the advice on how to remain infection-free, and the advice on isolation if required.”